Director, Programs and Impact
Reporting to the Director General, the Director, Programs and Impact is a member of the WorldFish’s Senior Management Team (SMT) who contributes to the WorldFish’s overall mission and vision as set out in the 2030 Research and Innovation Strategy.
The post holder is responsible for critical external facing functions which include: leading regional and national level engagements and strategic partnerships with an array of stakeholders, designing strategy for WorldFish portfolio growth through client engagement and innovative business development, and overseeing portfolio management activities, and steering communications & advocacy. Working closely with the directors of science, the post holder is responsible for alignment of our science for impact activities and outputs with WorldFish’s three strategic impact areas, namely:
- Climate resilience and environmental sustainability,
- Social and economic inclusion, and
- Nutrition and public health.
Working closely with the Director General, the post holder will grow WorldFish’s business development strategy and lead the organization’s approach in developing new business, including setting value propositions to meet clients’ demands, demonstrating return on investment, and driving through ambitious revenue targets.
Additionally, the post holder will lead WorldFish’s engagement and partnership strategy and steer the organization’s regional and country teams to ensure maintenance of WorldFish’s freedom-to-operate in-country, revenue generation and overall regional oversight. The position will foster collaboration at the country and regional levels with other CGIAR entities, national institutions, research institutes, the private sector, and development and civil society partners. The position holder will need to interact regularly and effectively with the CGIAR leaders responsible for the implementation of the new One CGIAR operating model.
The successful candidate will:
- Contribute to the leadership of WorldFish as a collaborative member of the senior management team in order to drive the development and implementation of WorldFish’s strategy based on analysis of current and future trends especially at global, regional, and country levels.
- Ensure WorldFish’s science outcomes are mapped to three impact areas, namely:
(1) Climate and Sustainability,
(2) Social and Economic Inclusion, and
(3) nutrition and Public Health.
- Provide proactive leadership for WorldFish and its mission, develop appropriate regional and country level strategies, identify, assess and progress revenue generation opportunities, secure and maintain freedom to operate, and provide oversight of progress and conduct of research and corporate services activities in the regions in collaboration with Research and other Corporate Services Functions.
- Contribute to the development of a comprehensive business development & portfolio management strategies for WorldFish, at the institutional, regional and country levels that are fully integrated with WorldFish’s research strategy.
- Lead Regional & Country Representation to ensure effective Partner and Client Engagement functions.
- Develop and manage partner and client relationships in order to build pipeline and grow revenue.
- Lead on the development of opportunities, including processes to research to identify potential accounts and decision makers in order to qualify business opportunity leads.
- Collaborate with respective team members to determine partnerships and business development strategies as appropriate.
- Establish and ensure implementation of a thorough approach to market analysis and customer intelligence.
- Develop and refine our engagement strategy bringing together all WorldFish external-facing functions through common practices and objectives.
- Create value propositions in close collaboration with Research as well as Communications & Advocacy to inform the development of new client offerings.
- Establish and ensure implementation of robust new business development processes to drive, monitor, and measure performance in new revenue generation, including appropriate quantitative and qualitative analyses.
- Establish and ensure implementation of robust account management processes to drive revenue generation through existing clients.
- Undertake other tasks as appropriate to further advance relevant strategies and initiatives and as discussed with WorldFish and One-CGIAR’s leadership.
The successful candidate will have:
- Degree or equivalent qualification preferably in management, particularly in the area of Political Science, Social Science, Business Administration, Business Management, Finance, Leadership management. An MBA or another higher degree would be an advantage.
- 10+ years of experience at executive or senior management level.
- Experience in ‘science for development’ strategy development and execution.
- Track record of business development.
- Experience managing multidisciplinary team.
- 10+ years (or extensive) experience in high-value, complex, and multi-country (or global) program management and delivery.
- Extensive experience in using scientific evidence to influence national, regional and global policy processes. Proven ability to integrate, inspire and develop multidisciplinary teams and manage talent, with the strong commitment to promote diversity, knowledge sharing and staff development.
- Ability to effectively communicate a common vision to diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and ability to work collaboratively with people at all levels in a decentralized, respectful, multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary organization.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as an agent of change, in order to build a unified CGIAR culture and dynamic, integrated and agile organization.
- Uphold the highest ethical standards by inspiring trust and treat all people with respect and personal integrity.
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams, assuming leadership as required.
- Strong project management skills.
- Understanding of impact pathways and research design/ conduct in ways that contribute to development outcomes and impacts.
- Resource mobilization.
- Team building.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with salary commensurate to the position. WorldFish’s IRS shall receive comprehensive health insurance, life insurance, accident, and long-term disability insurance. Internationally recruited staff employed outside of their home base/country of nationality will also be eligible to receive relocation assistance, a housing allowance, home-leave plane tickets for self and eligible dependents and education assistance for school-age dependents between age 4 and high school graduation. The duration of the contract will initially be for a three-year period with possibility for extension, depending on funding and performance. All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.
How to Apply
Your application must include:
- A copy of your curriculum vitae,
- A cover letter which addresses key requirements stated above; and
- Contact information of three professional referees who may be contacted if you are short-listed for the position.
- To be considered, applications must be submitted by no later than 24:00 (MYT), 19 April 2023.
- Location: The post holder will be based in Penang, Malaysia. This position will involve international travel.