Digital Phenotyping Coordinator
AN OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN A CGIAR CROSS-COMMODITY PLATFORM THAT AIMS TO MODERNIZE BREEDING PROGRAMS, TARGETING THE DEVELOPING WORLD FOR GREATER IMPACT ON FOOD AND NUTRITION SECURITY, CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION, AND DEVELOPMENT
The CGIAR Excellence in Breeding Platform (EiB) (www.excellenceinbreeding.org) is a cross-commodity platform that supports the modernization of breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia, and Latin America for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development. By providing important outcomes to under-resourced peoples, the CGIAR centers help realize the founding mission of the CGIAR system – they target low-and-middle-income countries for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development.
The Platform is part of the new CGIAR portfolio of research programs and platforms (www.cgiar.org/our-strategy), and is led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries (www.cimmyt.org).
Digital Phenotyping Coordinator
The CGIAR Excellence in Breeding Platform (EiB) is recruiting a Digital Phenotyping coordinator to help developing world breeders achieve higher rates of genetic gain and extract maximum value from new and proven technologies.
EiB is a CGIAR cross-commodity platform that supports the modernization of breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia, and Latin America for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development.
The EiB Digital Phenotyping coordinator will support CGIAR and national agriculture research system (NARS) institutions to deploy high throughput phenotyping tools. He/she will report to the EiB Breeding Operations and Phenotyping lead and work in collaboration with other EiB staff and consultants.
The successful candidate will be a digital phenotyping coordinator with strong communication skills, capable of defining and implementing the short, mid and long term CGIAR digital phenotyping strategy for breeding.
The digital phenotyping coordinator will be accountable for connecting vendors, breeding teams, and the data-focused Enterprise Breeding Management team to coordinate the adoption of defined tools and services. He/she will also need to connect with different CGIAR phenotyping/remote sensing and other research specialists to deploy technologies developed by them in breeding programs. As part of the deployment strategy, he/she will need to be connected with local authorities in different countries to guarantee that technology adoption will be in compliance with all the required regulations.
EiB is headquartered at the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), with access to state-of-the art facilities at one of the largest CGIAR centers and well-connected among the 14 sister centers, all known for their high impact on agriculture in developing countries. EiB draws from innovations in CGIAR centers, advanced research institutes and the private sector, providing access to cutting-edge tools, services and best practices, application-oriented training and practical advice.
The position will be based at one of the CGIAR’s global hubs and will involve significant international travel. He/she will report to EiB Breeding Operation and Phenotyping module leader.
The Digital Phenotyping Coordinator will work with CGIAR and NARS breeding team to:
- Develop a CGIAR Breeding Digital Phenotyping strategy
- Develop and implement a CGIAR Breeding Digital Phenotyping Roadmap
- Connect with CGIAR centers to review what has been developing, and to create a clear strategy on how to deploy developed solutions.
- Coordinate the deployment and monitoring of the adoption of high throughput phenotyping tools in a routine operation by CGIAR breeding programs.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attributes:
- Bachelor in agronomy or related field with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience
- Proven experience on deploying digital phenotyping tools for breeding.
- Proven experience on remote sensing, image analysis, AI, or related area
- Relevant global experience in agriculture sector
- Project management skills will be viewed favorably.
- Good reporting and communication skills (in English)
- A team player with strong interpersonal communication skills, able to work in a multicultural environment with leadership skills.
- A great opportunity for technical and professional development by teaming up with a wide range of experts from CGIAR, NARS and private industry.
- Competitive compensation comparable to private industry, including attractive benefits and excellent career opportunities in an international organization.
- World-class medical insurance coverage (including dependents), among other benefits.
- A friendly, humble environment full of people passionate for what they do and interested in helping people around the world.
EiB seeks candidates who embrace diversity in the broadest sense. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. CGIAR has a deep and profound commitment to diversity both as an end in itself but, also as a valuable means for eliminating health disparities. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Applications must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names, and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
The application should be addressed to Ms. Auree de Carbon by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 23rd of February at 18:00 CET. Please indicate in the ‘Subject’ of the email the title ‘application for the post of ‘Digital Phenotyping Coordinator’.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.