Country Program Coordinator (18-95)
Category: Research and Development
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and ambitious researcher and research manager to coordinate its growing Sweetpotato Research and Development Program in Bangladesh. We are looking for expertise in market-focused agricultural, food or nutrition research and hands-on experience in program coordination working through local partners. The position offers a great opportunity to contribute to the future of agriculture and nutrition in Bangladesh and Asia through research and development anchored on biofortified sweetpotato and taking a broad market-driven agri-food systems perspective.
About the program:
CIP’s global sweetpotato program is on track to help improve the diets and incomes of 15 million households in Asia, Asia and Latin America. CIP’s researchers and development experts work through national and international partners to develop and utilize improved, nutritious and climate resilient sweetpotato varieties such as the biofortified vitamin A rich orange-fleshed sweetpotato. The program in Bangladesh emphasizes the engagement with the private sector to drive market demand that can create opportunities for smallholder producers, employment, and new starting points for business investments. It also seeks to contribute to food security, nutrition, and humanitarian programs targeted at vulnerable populations.
About the position:
This Country Program Coordinator will provide overall coordination and technical direction and quality control for CIP’s portfolio of sweetpotato activities in Bangladesh. S/he will lead and supervise a team of researchers, field assistants, and other project staff to deliver high quality technical outputs and ensure broad reach of improved technologies and practices amongst farmers, food processors, and consumers. The incumbent will be part of CIP’s regional and global science teams and will thus participate in wider CGIAR research programs specifically on Roots, Tubers and Bananas and Agriculture for Nutrition and Health. The position will primarily be responsible for timely program delivery and will further contribute to the future development of the program portfolio in Bangladesh and Asia. The position reports to CIP’s global Sweetpotato Program Leader and is based in Dhaka.
- PhD in a field related to agriculture, food or nutrition and at least 5 years’ experience working in an international program context. MSc degree with additional 8 years’ experience will be considered. Specific experience with sweetpotato or related crops is an advantage.
- Strong hands-on experience coordinating field-based research and development programs involving local and national implementing partners.
- Proven track record of excellent planning and reporting skills.
- Strong understanding and direct experience of partnering with commercial private sector in the agriculture and food sectors.
- Excellent leadership skills to promote effective collaboration within the team and across partner organizations.
- Experience working in developing country context is required; specific experience in Bangladesh or Asia is an advantage.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
- Willingness and ability to travel and work in resource-poor, rural areas.
- Exciting career opportunity in an international organization.
- Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
- Attractive retirement plan.
- Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.