Country Manager Ecuador & Scientist (G-22-115)
Category: Research and Development
Location: Quito Pichincha Ecuador
The International Potato Center is seeking a dynamic and proactive Country Manager / Scientist for the Ecuador office with solid experience in business development, resource mobilization and scientific expertise related to rural development, agriculture, climate change, nature-based solution and/or food systems to lead the country program and work in close collaboration with the One CGIAR science team in Ecuador.
The position: the successful candidate will lead the (1) CIP and One CGIAR business development and resource mobilization for the country program, (2) advance strategic programmatic priorities in line with the Andean Initiative, (3) strengthen national and regional partnerships in the country, (4) support the development of a demand-driven science agenda resulting in quality outputs relevant for
Ecuador’s context and priorities, (5) lead the operational management of the country office. The successful candidate will report to the leader of the Andean Initiative. The position will be based in Quito, Ecuador.
Country Manager (70%)
Business development and resource mobilization:
- Develop, execute, and monitor an annual national (Ecuador) business plan co-developed with CIP Ecuador / LAC team.
- Lead and actively support resource mobilization in Ecuador (and the LAC region), seeking out new investments / project opportunities.
- Actively engage with different communities – ranging from private sector, conservation organizations, to university networks, to explore new models of partnerships in research for development.
- Maintain a high level of understanding of donor priorities, country plans and planned funding initiatives.
Dynamic growth management:
- Work in close collaboration with the lead of the Andean Initiative, LAC Regional Director and regional team to develop a strategic direction and plan for the country program.
- Provide timely and effective oversight of the financial position of the country program including identification and implementation of required changes to match funding levels.
- Maintain safe & healthy work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing standards and procedures, complying with legal regulations.
- Create a work atmosphere conducive to institutional and professional growth and development of excellent country team at all levels.
Andean Initiative Scientist role (30%)
Strategic role-out of the Andean Initiative and the One CGIAR
- Position the Andean Initiative and ensure the effective implementation of research for development projects in line with the (a) Initiative Strategy, (b) CIP’s Strategy and Corporate Plan and (c) the One CGIAR 2030 Research and Innovation
- Assume the One CGIAR ‘Country Convener’ role and support the LAC regional director.
Stewardship of national partnerships
- Maintain and nurture fluid relationships with key partners in Ecuador for collaborative research and knowledge dissemination.
- Develop new partnerships with investment following the Andean Initiative’s strategy, including, but not limited to, for agrobiodiversity, climate change and food system research.
Conduct and support quality science
- In line with the candidate’s disciplinary expertise, participate in scientific research, support and strengthen CIP’s research endeavor in Ecuador together with the national team.
What are we looking for?
- MSc. / PhD or comparable qualification in agriculture / rural development / food systems, with 5-8 years of experience
in project-based organizations.
- Background in agriculture, environmental and/or social science.
- Scientist with good track of publication records.
- Proven track-record of successful resource mobilization.
- Professional experience in institutional development and management, preferably in a research-for-development environment.
- Proven experience and knowledge of country office management resulting in stable growth.
- Experience with general finance and budgeting, including balance sheet and cash flow management.
- Experience with the management of high-performance multicultural teams.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Spanish and English, including a growing portfolio of
- Knowledge of Quechua will be an advantage.
What are we offering?
• Exciting career opportunity in an international organization.
• Fixed-term contract for three years with possibility of renewal.
• Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
- Internationally competitive pension and health plans