Consultant - PHP Developer - Remote
Main purpose of position
The consultant is responsible for designing, developing, maintaining and enhancing web-based MEL (Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning) platform for worldwide users. The consultant will ensure that mel.cgiar.org is easy to use and secure.
Main tasks will include:
- Design, develop, maintain and enhance web-based MEL platform according to business needs.
- Build efficient, testable and reusable PHP modules based on coding standards for MEL.
- Develop test cases, write and validate test routines to ensure that test cases mimic external interfaces and address all browser and device types.
- Develop and write code to resolve issues reported for the MEL system.
- Evaluate and ensure written code meets industry standards, is valid, is properly structured, follows security standards, and is compatible with browsers, devices, and operating systems.
- Document the features of the modules delivered to aid in the support and maintenance of new and existing products and services.
- Build and test Application Program Interfaces (APIs) for applications to exchange data.
- Analyze and propose solutions to business and technical requirements for both backend and frontend to ensure enhanced user experience.
- Accountable for compliance with quality control processes (source code changes, documentation, user acceptance test, etc.)
- Act as the first and second level support for the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) system.
- Liaise with external/internal developers, Information Technology Unit, and other stakeholders to translate business needs to technical requirements.
- Work closely with the Global MEL support/development community.
Education, qualifications and experience
Essential qualifications and competencies
- A Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or a related field with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in PHP development.
- In-depth understanding of software development lifecycle, especially using Agile methodology.
- In-depth understanding of UI, cross-browser compatibility, general web functions and standards.
- Knowledge of security principles and how they apply to web applications.
- Good experience in using Linux operating system will be an added advantage.
- Experience with API development using both RESTful and SOAP protocols.
- Excellent English reading, writing and speaking.
- Excellent team player.
- Ability to work independently.
- Capacity to work under pressure and flexibility.
Desirable qualifications and competencies
- Experience with GIT.
- Exposure to unit testing.
- Experience with one or more of the following: .NET, and SQL Server.
- Experience with platform interoperability.
- Professional certifications relevant to software development project implementation
Terms of appointment
This position may operate remotely, however candidates from other countries where ICARDA has offices (https://www.icarda.org/contact-us) and Kenya are preferable. The consultancy contract will be for 12-months, with possibility of renewal.
Short-listed candidates will be screened with online testing systems. The successful candidate should be available to commence work as soon as possible.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to apply and submit the following information here latest by 30 September 2019:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role including online example of work developed;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report. The references should be listed in the cover letter.
Screening will start as soon as possible and will continue until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Details of this vacancy and other opportunities can also be viewed at www.icarda.org/iea
ICARDA is and equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from qualified women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.