Communications Officer - Cairo, Egypt (Nationally Recruited Staff)
Icarda HR Team
Main purpose of position
ICARDA’s Communications Team carries out a diverse range of activities in a busy and time-restricted environment, promoting the organization externally, ensuring a timely and clear exchange of information internally, and preparing ICARDA spokespeople for communications and advocacy at high-level. External outputs are mostly digital and online with a strong element of social media, as well as traditional press engagement, hard-copy publications, event coordination and partner relations. Internal activities include the clear exchange of information, guidance for messaging, and the upkeep of tools and databases. The team also carries out a range of daily and ad-hoc communications activities, ensures a consistent external voice and branding of the organization, and supports targeted resource mobilization.
Under the management and guidance of the Communications Manager, the post-holder will support a range of communications and marketing activities that aim to target and build key audiences, raising the profile of ICARDA’s work and supporting resource mobilization.
- Manage and develop ICARDA’s social media channels and keep them up to date with new trends and good practices.
- Recruit influencers and respected in-sector peers to strengthen ICARDA’s reputation.
- Support the Communications Team to mentor staff in producing compelling visual content and copy for use across social media.
- Alongside the Communications Manager, devise and implement a paid advertising social media strategy.
- Use listening tools to monitor the digital domain for online mentions of ICARDA and share these internally and externally.
- Suggest opportunities, campaigns and strategies to improve ICARDA’s social media toolbox and impact.
- Help develop the Director General and Deputy Director General social media accounts.
- Use social media analysis tools to gain insight on ICARDA’s social media performance and audiences, and include in the quarterly communications report
- Help the Communications Team create compelling content for the website and mentor ICARDA staff across the organization in the same.
- Update web pages and images when required, keeping the ICARDA Webmaster informed.
- Monitor the website to guard against errors and protect brand, and provide ideas for improvement of UX.
- Monitor website performance, audiences and impact through evaluative and analytical tools and include outcomes in the quarterly communications report.
- Create basic drafts in English and Arabic for news alerts, blogs, social media and campaign content.
- Proofread existing copy written by the Communications Team, ICARDA staff, scientists and guest writers.
- Help develop compelling email alerts, press releases and newsletters through the MailChimp email marketing tool.
- Keep abreast of industry trends, styles and practices in email marketing.
- Maintain subscriber lists and help to identify audience segments and provide ideas on strategical approaches to expand audience diversity and numbers.
- Help to design and build a range of email templates.
- Monitor email performance and prepare analysis reports.
INFORMATION FLOWS FROM THE FIELD
- Liaise with Country Program Managers and/or their Communications Officers in order to create a regular flow of up-to-date information about field activities, research, happenings and events.
- Support Country Teams with their events and media/high-level visits.
- Ensure regular external promotion of Country Team activities through social media and other communications activities proposed to the Communications Manager.
GENERAL DAY TO DAY AND AD-HOC TASKS
- Manage daily requests for ICARDA communication products/drafts/presentations/etc. and liaise with external writers, editors, designers and printers on the same.
- Help respond to internal and external communications related enquiries.
- Help manage the internal database of audio-visual stock and stories.
- Safeguard the ICARDA branding and style guide by monitoring outputs leaving the communications domain.
- Help to ensure content is in-line with the ICARDA strategic plan.
- Help prepare reports, training materials and presentations to inform ICARDA’s staff on good communications practices.
- Recruit and manage interns when required.
- Help coordinate communication campaigns both on and offline.
- Support coordination of events, meetings and forums and help prepare ICARDA staff with messaging and tools tailored to target audiences.
Essential qualifications and competencies
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a marketing or communications related field.
- Three years’ experience in a communications or public relations environment ideally with an emphasis on digital marketing.
- Proven background in basic development of creative and compelling digital content.
- Robust understanding of social media practices and trends.
- Experience of using a Website CMS to update and edit a website.
- Familiarity with MS Office.
- Good organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team in a multicultural and multidisciplinary work environment.
- Self-starter with a highly developed customer service approach.
- Able to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders in various ICARDA locations.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English.
Desirable qualifications and competencies
- Masters’ degree in related field.
- Experience in development sector with focus on agriculture.
- Basic design skills, knowledge of tools for A/V content production, and understanding of photography.
- Skills in monitoring, evaluation and analysis of digital marketing activities through industry standard tools.
- Arabic or French would be an advantage.
Terms of appointment
This is a nationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, five months’ maternity leave, 15 days’ paternity leave. The successful candidates will be offered an initial contract of 3 years, renewable subject to satisfactory performance. The first year will be a probationary period. The salary range starts from EGP 16,539.00 to EGP 27, 564 per month and will depend on the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please apply online at https://apply.workable.com/icarda/j/00A063CBDC/ by 30 May 2020.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.