The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is the global leader in publicly funded maize and wheat research and related farming systems. Headquartered near Mexico City, CIMMYT works with hundreds of partners throughout the developing world to sustainably increase the productivity of maize and wheat cropping systems, thus improving global food security and reducing poverty.
CIMMYT is a member of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future, and leads the CGIAR Research Programs on Wheat and Maize and the Excellence in Breeding Platform. The Center receives support from national governments, foundations, development banks and other public and private agencies.
The CIMMYT Communications Department is seeking a candidate for a locally recruited staff (LRS) Communications Officer.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of Communications, the Communications Officer will develop/write/edit communication products and undertake related activities to raise awareness and promote research findings and activities at the institutional and project/program level, including the Accelerating Genetic Gains in Maize and Wheat for Improved Livelihoods (AGG) project, as well as others.
The Communications Officer will be remotely based until COVID-19 travel restrictions are lifted, and thereafter, on a flexible basis, in the organization’s global headquarters in Texcoco, 40 km outside of Mexico City.
- Develop, write, and edit English-language communication materials designed to summarize technical scientific research findings in a compelling way, (e.g., impact case studies, press releases, blog stories, newsletters) targeted to diverse audiences including informed public, wheat and maize research stakeholders, and funders.
- Work with communications colleagues to increase news media coverage of CIMMYT project and program outputs, leveraging existing and new media contacts.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the institution to coordinate internal and external events.
- Maintain content for project and program web pages on cimmyt.org.
- Contribute to multimedia communications campaigns, including collaborating with comms colleagues in the production of graphics, video, social media materials.
- Build and maintain responsive relationships with CIMMYT scientists and researchers to stay updated on research outcomes and priorities for promotional products and campaigns.
- Manage social media presence and communications on behalf of projects, including developing social media messages and toolkits, and identifying content and visuals for Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts
- Other duties as assigned.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English or a related field; or rural/international development, with substantial relevant experience, preferably in a multi-national environment.
- 5 – 8 years’ experience in similar positions or activities.
- Experience coordinating and managing creative content platforms, working with graphic designers.
- Experience coordinating virtual and in-person events.
- Familiarity with online platforms and tools such as WordPress, Mailchimp, SPARK.
- Interest in international development, agricultural research, and/or food-related science.
- Proven excellent English oral and written communication skills.
- High level of cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Advanced level in English language (English test will be administered; candidate must score a minimum of C1 as per CEFR).
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Creative Thinking, Communication, Client Orientation, Teamwork and Problem Solving and decision making.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M21145 Communication Officer. Screening and follow up will begin on Friday, May 21, 2021. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Ricardo Perez (email@example.com).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.