The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
The CIMMYT is seeking an experienced professional to support Nepal Seed and Fertilizer (NSAF) project funded by USAID. The project promotes the use of improved seeds and Integrated Soil Fertility Management (ISFM) technologies approved and registered by the Government of Nepal. The Project will specifically increase availability of technologies to improve productivity in maize, rice, lentils, and high value vegetable farming. The project also works to improve capacity of both the public and private sectors in their respective roles for technology development and its in-country dissemination. Details of position, location and TOR for the position is below and can be found at www.jobsnepal.com.
Duty Station: Kathmandu
Communication Specialist is responsible for project branding, support to organize trainings, meetings, workshops; document success stories and disseminate using various channels and support in projects reporting to donors and CIMMYT HQ.
The major responsibilities include:
- Develop a communications plan for NSAF that meets the communication needs of the project to reach different internal and external stakeholder groups.
- Pursue strategic communications activities, as established in collaboration with NSAF project leader.
- Formulate, implement, monitor, and revise an annual work plan for NSAF communications to measurably advance strategic aims for all major themes of the project.
- Support and advise the NSAF project Leader for required communications and outreach with external audiences, including web pages, engaging media and policy makers.
- Liaise with all partners to exploit existing relationships with journalists, publications, and key players in agricultural development circles.
- Write and edit compelling, scientifically accurate copy for diverse audiences and formats (web, print, speeches, PowerPoint, newsletters, technical publications, blogs, posters and factsheets)
- Manage branding for NSAF, including the proper use of project, institutional, partner and donor logos in compliance as per CIMMYT and USAID norms.
- Work with editors to cover NSAF impact stories and events, create and broadcast audio/visuals, and arrange interviews to disseminate strategic policy messages.
- Channelize the contents/products and amplify coverage across multiple communication platforms (mass media and social media) to extend reach of the messages.
- Conduct any other activity as assigned by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, experience, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s degree in Communication, Knowledge Management, Journalism or related; or Bachelor’s degree in these fields with compensatory years of experience.
- Very good knowledge of oral and written English – we are looking for a writer/communicator.
- Fluency in English; working knowledge of other local languages is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills in an international environment.
- Ability to communicate complex research results in a concise and engaging fashion.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks; organized, and keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently on agreed priorities and deliverables.
- Excellent client orientation, responsive to requests.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Conversant in social media platforms and social networking tools.
- Good editing skills.
- Experience with process facilitation.
- Experience in agriculture and developmental field in the country and/or region highly desirable.
- Ability to write/edit under pressure, with high accuracy, and to deadline.
- Ability to think strategically and to develop and execute strategic communication planning.
- Ability to read, understand and assimilate complex technical information to produce clear, well-written summaries.
Candidates must go through the link below and submit the application with detailed information no later than January 4th, 2023.
Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.