Coffee Value Chain Specialist
Category: Research & Development
Location: Hanoi Hanoi Viet Nam
The Coffee Value Chain – Specialist will undertake the implementation of various coffee-related research projects currently carried out in Vietnam. The specialist will lead the design and the implementation of impactful value chain interventions for smallholder farmers, as well as documenting their outcomes and possible impacts. The incumbent will work with multiple value chain stakeholders, including private companies that source coffee in the Central Highlands and the Northwest of Vietnam, as well as other value chain stakeholders such as farmers’ cooperatives, input providers and collectors. We are searching for a professional with demonstrated experience in the coffee sector and experience with participatory methods applied to value chain and business development, working with farming communities and the private sector. Previous experiences in user-centered design (UCD), to co-design innovations with and
for a target group, would be an advantage.
– Coordinate field and participatory research activities, including research design, research implementation, preparation of technical reports and publications.
– Supervise data collection and data analysis. Fieldwork methods will include quantitative data collection and qualitative interviews, focus group discussions and participatory workshops.
– Lead the design, implementation and monitoring of value chain prototypes.
– Collaborate with multiple stakeholders, including coffee (and pepper) value chain actors, as well as
national and international researchers, in order to implement research activities.
– Provide capacity building and support to local research staff.
– Contribute to the cohesion and development of good practices and trust among value chain actors, proactively identifying ways to increase engagement of local stakeholders and opportunities to make the value chain development processes more efficient, inclusive and resilient.
– Join coordination meetings with other team members, participate to project schedules, and supervise the logistics to ensure timely delivery of project activities.
– Contribute to fund-raising efforts through participation to project proposal writing.
– Advance degree (PhD as required) in a relevant field, including social sciences, international development, marketing and business development, or environmental sciences. Candidates with a MSc degree, with remarkable professional experience related to the role would be considered.
– At least 5 years of relevant professional experience, in a research organization or an NGO.
– Proven experience conducting a wide variety of qualitative research-action exercises. Expertise in value chains, business model analysis or human-centered design approaches are highly
– Proven working experience in Vietnam and knowledge of the national institutional landscape in the country.
– Strong drive to learn new topics and skills, and to see research and ideas having positive impact in practice.
– Ability to work collaboratively in an international and multi-disciplinary environment, from laboratory and farm to value chain and landscape levels.
– Ability to work independently, with professional rigor.
– Solid communication skills in English language, with the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, verbal and written, translated into high-quality deliverables.
– Fluency in Vietnamese language is essential to communicate in writing and speaking.