CIAT Vacancy: Research Officer I – Internal/External (Closing date: 6 December 2019)
The Position: The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT; http://www.ciat.cgiar.org) seeks to recruit a Research Officer I who will be a member of CIAT which is based in Addis Ababa located at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) campus in Addis Ababa.
General: CIAT is one of the 15 non-profit centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. This global research partnership operates primarily through CGIAR Research Programs, CRPs, which are designed to deliver tangible benefits for the rural poor on a large scale. Within this framework, CIAT participates actively in the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS), to which the ‘Technical Advisor’ position is connected ( http://www.ccafs.cgiar.org ).
CIAT Africa currently works on four key themes: 1) Leveraging markets through improved productivity and competitiveness, 2) Agriculture for improved nutrition and health, 3) Transforming farms and landscapes for sustainability and, 4) Investment planning for resilient agriculture. Within the Decision and Policy Analysis (DAPA) unit in Africa, the job will involve the implementation of these themes by liaising with government, researchers, civil society and the private sector at federal, regional, and local levels to develop science-policy solutions for agricultural development and resilience; conduct research and advocacy on agricultural risk, resilience, and climate-smart agriculture (CSA); contribute to design and implementation of research and research tools; contribute to analysis, interpretation, presentation and knowledge management of research findings; gather knowledge on risk and resilience in agricultural value chains; and monitor and evaluate research for development projects. The job will also include engagement with key development partners to highlight the work CIAT is doing, particularly on issues of agricultural risk, resilience building and climate-smart agriculture.
• Plans and executes program activities, including identifying priorities, creating timelines, meeting with stakeholders, and monitoring project implementation;
• Undertakes and coordinates qualitative and quantitative data collection (including farmer focus groups, interviews, surveys), data cleaning and analysis, and writing reports;
• Compiles existing database information on livestock (i.e. population, health, genetics, location, feed, production and marketing) and map datapoints;
• Provides technical support and advices to the Ministry of Agriculture and National Animal Genetic Improvement Institute (NAGII) regarding data available and through reports;
• Leads the development for reporting and monitoring and evaluation tasks;
• Supports the dissemination of project results through available stakeholder platforms including presentations and reports;
• Works closely with project team members and partners organizations to execute project implementation;
• Maintains excellent relationships and communication with our partners to ensure the success of project aLIVE;
• Supporting implementation of agricultural risk and Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) related research and projects in Ethiopia;
• Writing literature review, research reports, and policy briefs; editing and/transcribing reports, manuscripts, proposals and other documents; collating and documenting of CSA research done by CIAT;
• Organizing seminars, workshops and other learning or/ stakeholder consultative events; Establishes and maintains contacts with CSA stakeholders in government, civil society, private sector and research.
• Any other responsibilities that will be assigned by supervisor.
• Masters’ degree in Sustainable Agriculture, Rural development, Developmental Economics or a related field with professional certification
• Broad / specialized knowledge of methods, techniques and processes
• At least 5 years relevant work experience
• Practical experience in value chain development, agricultural resilience and risk reduction, and private sector engagement in agriculture;
• Knowledge and experience with use of ICT for development and database structures and associated rules;
• Proven experience in analytical and problem solving, database management and manipulation;
• Knowledge of the Ethiopian agriculture and livestock industries with good research experience;
• Thorough knowledge of SPSS, word processing, spreadsheet, and data management including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Access;
• Good communication and presentation skills;
• Excellent domestic or regional travel and knowledge of livestock information system
• Good understanding of Ethiopia’s rural economy, farming systems, markets, value chains and agriculture;
• Fluency in both written and spoken English and good knowledge of local languages;
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Position grade: HG 13
Minimum Base salary:
• Birr 35,492 per month (Negotiable depending on salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: Initial appointment is for a one year renewable appointment based on performance and funding availability. CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits in line with ILRI salary applicable for its Nationally Recruited Staff. CIAT is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: RO/58/19 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 6 December 2019.
To find more about CIAT, visit our Website at http://www.ciat.cgiar.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert