CGIAR System Organization: Senior Manager, Funder Engagement
- Published on
- Position: Senior Manager, Funder Engagement
- Duty Station: Montpellier, France or a capital in another European country
- Closing Date for Applications: 29 July 2018
We are looking for a highly-skilled and experienced professional to fill the position of Senior Manager, Funder Engagement of the CGIAR’s System Organization Funder & External Engagement unit. This position offers an opportunity to be a part of the world’s largest and dynamic global agricultural innovation network and contribute to a world free of poverty, hunger and environmental degradation.
Who We Are
CGIAR is a global research partnership for a food-secure future. CGIAR science is dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources and ecosystem services. Its research is carried out by 15 CGIAR Centers in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations and the private sector. These 15 Centers have close to 10,000 staff based in over 50 countries.
Established in 2016, the CGIAR System Organization provides governance to the CGIAR System in collaboration with the System Council and has about 40 staff. The System Organization is committed to cultivating a work environment that reflects teamwork, gender equality and respect for diversity. We endeavor to foster a multi-cultural environment that is free of any form of harassment and discrimination; and that embraces and values individuals regardless of age, ethnicity, race, gender, national or social origin, marital status or any other form of personal identity.
Please find more information about CGIAR at www.cgiar.org.
Summary of the Position
This position serves as relationship manager for a portfolio of CGIAR funders, as well as project manager on key funder and resource mobilization initiatives. As such, political savvy and capacity to build and maintain a wide range of strategic relationships are paramount for this role. A key member of the Funder and External Engagement team, s/he acts as deputy to the Head, Funder & External Engagement in line with specific delegations of authority or as otherwise directed by the Executive Director; and manages the following key areas:
Strategically growing CGIAR System funding:
- Develop and monitor implementation of long-term System-wide funder engagement strategies and annual work plans in collaboration with the Head, Funder & External Engagement
- Develop new financing initiatives for CGIAR Research Programs, platforms and projects, and proactively leverage existing initiatives
Increasing the predictability and consistency of CGIAR System funding:
- Monitor funder landscape to collect and analyze donor intelligence; research new funding opportunities and keep abreast of current trends, emerging issues and global policies in the funding environment
Represent CGIAR and CGIAR Research Programs in public fora:
- Build and maintain strong relationships with funders and investors, with a focus on multi-year commitments and represent CGIAR with multi-donor funds, global research programs, and multi-lateral development investments
Identifying and leveraging strategic communication opportunities within key funder markets:
- Leverage supporting networks and platforms to increase engagement and investments and achieve System funding targets and goals
- Contribute to the preparation of marketing or communication materials, concept notes and proposals in collaboration with key team members and ensure that the CGIAR resource mobilization database is complete and up to date.
- Foster collaborative teamwork and communication across the System, proactively participating in knowledge and capacity building initiatives to support delivery of the Organization’s business plan and further advance funder engagement and resource mobilization strategies, workplans and initiatives
Qualifications, Experience & Competencies
- An advanced university degree in marketing, economics or business administration and 10 years’ experience in similar or equivalent positions (e.g. managing and developing funding modalities and international relations; communication and stakeholder engagement and outreach)
- Politically astute with strong negotiation and relationship building skills; and good understanding of the effective use of networks to manage and move relationships from prospects to investors, preferably in an international or multi-faceted environment
- Good proficiency in the use of MS Windows-based software packages, including word processing, spreadsheets and databases
- Gravitas in communication at all levels and excellent written reporting skills in English. Intermediate knowledge of a second language is desirable
How to Apply
Please send your application letter and CV in English and as separate attachments to SMO-HR@cgiar.org; ensuring that neither document contains your marital status, age and photograph.
Note: All received applications will be acknowledged, however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Applications received after the closing date for applications will not be considered.
Terms and Conditions of Employment
The selected candidate will be employed by the CGIAR System Organization. Appointments are typically for a fixed term of 3 years, with a possibility of renewal subject to the System Organization’s needs and funding.
The CGIAR System Organization is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation with a favorable taxation arrangement in France, and comprehensive employee benefits comprising extensive insurance coverage, a retirement plan and relocation support where applicable.