Biophysical Systems Consultant Scientist (ICARDA)
Icarda HR Team
Reports to: Climatologist Resilient Agri-Food Systems
Main purpose of position
The GeoAgro Team of ICARDA conducts Research for Development (R4D) activities on 3 main areas:  Geoinformatics,  Climate Analytics and  Systems Modeling.
The Biophysical Systems Consultant Scientist will contribute to the development and implementation of climate smart solutions in irrigated, rainfed and rangeland systems and help develop targeted solutions (e.g., context specific climate adaptation options) that will be disseminated to the stakeholders via digital platforms (e.g., app-based advisories or web-based platforms). The successful candidate will be expected work diligently and cooperatively with the multidisciplinary projects and deliver results promptly.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is a treaty-based international non-profit research organization supported by CGIAR.
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water, and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR Research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
All CGIAR Centers are currently engaged into a reform process (“One CGIAR’”) that will help ICARDA and CGIAR achieve better impact through more strategically integrated research, unified governance, an integrated structure and new research modalities across participating Research Centers. This transformation is supported by CGIAR donors who have committed to increased funding as a result of these reforms.
• Design and conduct research, data collection, analysis, and reporting activities to support the development of climate smart agriculture practices, innovative approaches, new tools, and scaling technologies.
• Carry out and supervise community-based water resources management activities.
• Contribute to the assessments of climate change on agroecosystems (both irrigated and rainfed).
• Use spatial and quantitative modelling approaches to identify landscape-level climate smart options.
• Contribute to institutional capacity development of national partners through training, supervision, and technical backstopping.
• Actively publish in reputed scientific journals.
• Contribute to resource mobilization activities.
• Represent ICARDA in regional and international fora.
• Perform other professional duties assigned by the Climatologist Resilient Agri-Food Systems.
Education, qualifications, requirements, and experience
• An earned PhD degree in agrometeorology, agricultural physics, environmental physics, or physical geography.
• Proven experience in field-based and model-based research activities on agrophysics and soil-plant-water system.
• Strong spatial and quantitative modelling skills and a broad understanding of the biophysics of the interactions across soil-plant-atmosphere continuum and modelling it.
• Proficiency in using GIS/remote sensing, data analytics, cloud based mobile data and crop modelling.
• Proven track record of writing skills as evident from peer-reviewed publications.
• Fluency in spoken and written English is a must. Additional languages that would be an advantage are French, Arabic, Bengali, Russian and Hindi.
• Work experience in developing countries is desirable.
• Ability to work in a team and supervise technical staff.
Terms of appointment
The successful candidate will be offered a one-year consultancy contract on a full-time basis and will be provided with a monthly honorarium.
How to apply
Applicants are required to submit their applications online at this Link by 15 April 2022 latest. (Or until the position is filled)
Candidates will be selected on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and more than one person can be recruited (based on need and fund availability).
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but due to the high number of applications we apologize in advance as only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.