Associate Scientist, Potato Breeding and Product Development (G-21-32)
Category: Research and Development
Location: Hanoi Ha Noi Viet Nam
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and innovative Associate Scientist, with expertise in at least one of the following areas: potato breeding, potato crop management, product development with excellent practical, organizational and communication skills and a high level of commitment to conduct potato breeding and develop potato varieties to be commercialized in tropical environments for South East Asia and Pacific.
The position: This research position will be based in Hanoi, Vietnam and the scientist will be a member of CIP’s Genetics, Genomics & Crop Improvement Science Division and its Agile Potato for Asia Program. The major objective of the project supporting the position is to select and develop improved potato varieties for fresh and processing use, closely working with a leading potato breeding company, HZPC. The area of interest and target population of environments is South and Southeast Asia, but international travel is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· According to project plan, identify appropriate infrastructure and locations for potato breeding and product
development purposes in Vietnam.
· Manage potato progenies and carry out selection and breeding procedures.
· Assess and maintain health and genetic identity of breeding materials.
· Develop and implement off -line and on-line breeding data management systems and expense accounts
· Determine breeding value and varietal attributes of advanced lines and new selections through phenotypic and
· Contribute to the development, registration and commercialization of improved potato varieties.
· Contribute to assessment of varietal preferences and use as a part of interdisciplinary teams
· Write technical reports and communicate fluently with team members of CIP and partner organizations (HZPC, a leading
Dutch potato breeding company, and SFSA (Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture).
· Interact with and manage relationships with national and regional partners.
· Organize and facilitate national and regional workshops and knowledge sharing events.
· Represent CIP in relevant workshops, congress and meetings as required.
· Engage with policy makers, NGOs and National Programs and other actors as needed to support knowledge sharing and capacity building.
· Accountable for compliance according to the delegation of authority assigned to the position.
· Put into effect CIP’s policies among supervised staff
· Comply with national and international health and safety laws, regulations and standards.
· Publish and communicate research results through journals, Internet and other outlets.
· Contribute to institutional knowledge management.
· Develop concept notes and proposals in strategic research areas to sustain breeding activity.
· Program and project management.
What are we looking for?
- PhD in Plant Breeding or other Crop Sciences. Applicants with a M.Sc., or substantial
professional experience, will be considered as well.
- At least 2-5 years’ experience in breeding potato (advantageous) or another clonal crop, and/or
on product development, registration and commercialization of new crop varieties.
- Strong knowledge of experimental design, genetics and statistics, GxE analysis for breeding and variety selection
- General and practical knowledge in plant health management, agronomy and accounts management
- Understanding and experience with molecular genetic characterization, principles and practices of marker-assisted selection
- Demonstrated collaboration skills, proactive in inter-institutional and collegial relationships.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, taking consistent action and focused on meeting project timelines.
- Knowledge of national agricultural research systems in Asia, Vietnam in particular.
- Experience working with private sector and end-users of breeding products desirable.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
What are we offering?
- Exciting career opportunity in an international organization.
- Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
- Attractive retirement plan.
- Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.