Associate Scientist - Forage Agronomist (ICARDA)
Icarda HR Team
Reports to: Thematic Leader of the Rangeland Ecology and Forages.
Location: The position will be based in one of the following ICARDA’s duty stations: Addis Ababa, Tunis, or Rabat
Main purpose of position
The Associate Scientist – Forage Agronomist will work with the multidisciplinary Resilient AgroSilvoPastoral Systems (RASP) Team and contribute to the development and implementation of integrated crop-rangeland-livestock projects which enable small farming households to optimize their animal husbandry. The position is key towards implementing the Center’s research on improving the production of forage and innovative pasture farming to support poor and vulnerable smallholder farmers and agro-pastoralists.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is a treaty-based international non-profit research organization supported by CGIAR. ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water, and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR Research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
All CGIAR Centers are currently engaged into a reform process (“One CGIAR’”) that will help ICARDA and CGIAR achieve better impact through more strategically integrated research, unified governance, an integrated structure and new research modalities across participating Research Centers. This transformation is supported by CGIAR donors who have committed to increased funding as a result of these reforms.
• Design and conduct research, data collection, analysis, and reporting activities to support the development of sustainable forage-based cropping systems, innovative approaches, new tools, and technologies.
• Identify, evaluate, and promote conventional and alternative dryland feed resource options with special emphasis on cactus pear.
• Analyze experimental data and publish in high-quality peer-reviewed journals.
• Coordinate on-going relevant field research programs and networks in collaboration with ICARDA’s partners.
• Contribute to institutional capacity development of national partners through training, supervision, and technical backstopping.
• Contribute to resource mobilization activities.
• Represent ICARDA in regional and international fora.
• Perform other duties assigned by the direct supervisor.
Education, qualifications, and experience
• Earned Ph.D. degree in agricultural sciences, preferably with a focus on forage agronomy or related field.
• Minimum of 3-years postdoctoral experience preferably in an international organization.
• Good understanding of forage and pasture production within dryland and irrigated farming systems.
• Strong knowledge of applied experimental design, management of field trials and data analyses.
• Familiarity with cactus pear management and uses is preferred.
• Capacity to plan, design and implement research and demonstration programs.
• Fluency in spoken and written English. Additional languages that would be an advantage are French and/or Arabic.
• A proven track record of publishing in this field.
• Work experience in developing countries is desirable.
• Ability to work in a team and supervise technical staff.
Terms of appointment, salary, and benefits as per IRS requirements
This is an internationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package, including a competitive salary, housing allowance, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance and leave provisions. All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars.
The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 2 years, of which the first year will be probationary period. Possibility of the extension will be subject to merit and productivity of the staff, funding and continued need for the position.
How to apply
Please apply online at this link, by 2 April 2022 latest.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.