Associate Scientist-Agricultural Value Chain Modeling
ICRISAT invites applications from Indian Nationals for Associate Scientist: Agricultural Value Chain Modeling position. The position is based at ICRISAT- Patancheru Hyderabad, with the Global Research program on Innovation Systems for the Dryland (ISD).
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in Sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
The position will undertake research to model alternative, inclusive value chains in dryland ecologies of Africa and Asia. Research on systemic dynamics embrace a whole chain perspective. It includes the analysis of trade-offs at household-level, economies of scale, optimal degrees of horizontal and vertical integration, institutional factors and development outcomes (food and nutrition, income, environment). In cooperation with our behavioral economists, the position will also model food environments to identify, evaluate and prioritize nutrition-oriented value chain interventions. In view of the crop-livestock systems in semiarid regions, the candidate will analyze the links between feed, productivity, and market competitiveness.
- Implementing research projects on markets and value chains with smallholder farming households in Africa and Asia
- Develop survey instruments, organize training programs and supervise data collection, organize, clean, process, and analyze household data sets and other quantitative data
- Analyzing and modelling trade-offs and comparative advantages of alternative value chains in crop-livestock systems
- Model food environments (i.e. foodscape factors) to identify, evaluate and prioritize nutrition-oriented value chain interventions
- Contribute to specifying business models to empower women and youth, aimed at bringing about monetary and non-monetary benefits to smallholder crop-livestock farmers and consumers
- Support resource mobilization and the development of winning research proposals, contribute to report-writing and the publication of scientific articles in peer reviewed international journals
- Support activities related to communications and knowledge mobilization (media engagement, stakeholder consultations, writing blogs, preparation of research and policy briefs)
- Travel, as needed, to field sites or internationally
- PhD or doctoral degree in agricultural economics, or relevant discipline, ideally with a focus on value chains linking smallholder farmers and markets with 1-3 years of relevant experience post Ph.D.
- Proven post-graduate research experience in analyzing and modelling value chains including systems dynamics in low- and middle-income countries
- Relevant experience in collecting and evaluating large amounts of data, in addition to analytical and descriptive statistics
- Proven publishing experience in the relevant field, outstanding writing skills in English
- Knowledge of econometrics and software like STATA and R, relevant modeling software
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams (including community researchers)
- Knowledge of French language
- Field level experience in Africa and Asia
This is a Locally Recruited Staff position for three years for Indian Nationals to be based at ICRISAT Headquarters in Patancheru, India. The selected candidate will join the MIND (Markets, Institutions, Nutrition and Diversity) team to support research projects in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 4-November-2018, with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged. However, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer