Associate Research Fellow/Research Fellow
- Published on
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as an Associate Research Fellow/Research Fellow to work under the Nigeria Strategy Support Program (NSSP) for a two-year, fixed-term, renewable appointment. The program has a focus on strategy and policy issues in relation to agriculture, the food system, agricultural transformation, and poverty reduction. The position reports to the Director of the Development Strategy and Governance Division (DSGD) and is based in Abuja, Nigeria.
The Associate Research Fellow/Research Fellow will be responsible for:
a) Conducting high-quality research, policy advice, capacity strengthening and policy communication in Nigeria on the strategic issues of agricultural production, agricultural transformation, rural development, food security and poverty reduction, and
b) Support the NSSP Program Leader to coordinate and implement IFPRI’s country strategy support program in Nigeria. The Associate Research Fellow will be responsible for timely completion of research projects and reports, actively publish papers in peer reviewed journals, and participate in various conferences, workshops, seminars, policy advisory fora, and capacity strengthening training programs.
More specifically, the position includes the following responsibilities:
- Policy-relevant Research and Capacity Building: Leading or participating in specific empirical research and synthesis on special studies based on identified NSSP program of work; organizing or providing support to targeted training programs; and coordinating with both local and Washington-based staff on specific research and training activities that fall within NSSP.
Research Coordination: Assisting the NSSP Program Leader to coordinate research related to the country strategy program with IFPRI research and outreach staff (both local and Washington-based); liaising with donor and government stakeholders; recruiting and managing national collaborators on a need basis.
- Policy Communication and Liaison: Maintaining active policy communication with national counterparts, other stakeholders and development partners through policy seminars, workshops, policy briefs, and other outreach and policy communication activities; establishing active links with the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD), various national research institutions and think tanks, among others; and liaising with donors (particularly USAID) on a regular basis.
- Required Qualifications:
PhD in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Development Economics, Public Policy or closely related field.
- Demonstrated experience in research on policy issues related to agricultural production, the role of the state, civil society, and markets and trade.
- Demonstrated ability to design and manage quantitative research studies, including design of field work, training of enumerators, supervision of data entry, data analysis and writing and publication of results.
- Knowledge of and experience with a range of evaluation methods and designs.
- Demonstrated computer and data analysis literacy (PC and Microsoft Applications; and STATA).
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Demonstrated ability in effective interactions in a multicultural and multi-disciplinary setting with a variety of stakeholders, including government, research organizations and civil society actors.
- Demonstrated ability to publish in high-ranking peer-reviewed journals.
- Ability to multi-task, work in a dynamic environment, take initiatives to resolve issues and effectively work with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to travel extensively as required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Additional requirements at the Research Fellow level:
- At least 3 years of post-PhD experience relevant to the job and demonstrated fundraising experience.
- Excellent publication record in peer-reviewed journals.
- Major external recognition within professional peer network based on publications and other leadership activities.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and successful experience building and managing teams.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working in Africa.