Associate Research Fellow/Research Fellow
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as an Associate Research Fellow (ARF) or Research Fellow (RF) for a two-year, renewable appointment in the Poverty, Health and Nutrition Division (PHND). The selected candidate will conduct research under two projects: Partnerships and Opportunities to Strengthen and Harmonize Actions for Nutrition (POSHAN-3) and Data for Decisions in Nutrition (DataDENT-2).
POSHAN was launched in 2011 to identify the major evidence gaps on nutrition and support the use of data and evidence to guide policies and practices for nutrition in India. POSHAN uses a combination of secondary data analyses, policy process studies, and implementation research to highlight malnutrition problems, their determinants, and to identify solutions to address them. An integral part of POSHAN’s work is mobilizing evidence and supporting diverse stakeholders to use evidence for nutrition policy and practice decisions.
DataDENT works towards the ultimate goal of strong nutrition data value chains within and across low- and middle-income countries. DataDENT’s driving theory of change assumes that when essential data are available to and used by national and subnational decision-makers they will make more effective decisions and in turn, accelerate progress in addressing all forms of malnutrition. DataDENT seeks to maximize the potential of data to support effective multisector nutrition policies and programs. Over three years, DataDENT aims to 1) improve strategic planning and coordination to support the collection and use of nutrition data; 2) increase readiness to collect and use indicators of multisector nutrition intervention coverage; 3) increase multistakeholder knowledge exchange, collaborative action, and access to capacity development for strengthening multisectoral nutrition data value chains.
This position will include research activities in India, Ethiopia, and Nigeria, with a strong quantitative focus. The candidate will analyze large-scale secondary datasets, design and manage primary surveys and implementation research, contribute to peer-reviewed publications and other dissemination of research findings, and support technical reporting. The candidate will also collaborate with national research partners in focus countries.
This position is based in Washington, DC or New Delhi, India and will require domestic travel within India and international travel.
Please note that ARF appointments at IFPRI have a maximum term of three (3) years, inclusive of any approved appointment extensions. After the maximum appointment term, ARFs may be considered for a promotion to the next level.
The final grade level (ARF or RF) for this position will be determined by demonstrated experience and track record of publications.
- Duties include but are not limited to:
- Engaging in and leading key research activities related to nutrition information systems and data for nutrition, with a focus on working with large-scale datasets on nutrition outcomes, determinants and interventions
- Conducting research to understand nutrition data value chains in India, Nigeria and Ethiopia, particularly in developing, testing and supporting the use of coverage indicators of comprehensive nutrition interventions (multisectoral, including nutrition-sensitive social protection, school feeding, large-scale food fortification, among others)
- Designing and managing large surveys and evaluations: selection and recruitment of data collection firms; development of study protocols, surveys and qualitative instruments, and training manuals; and training and supervision of field staff.
- Collaborating with national research partners in focus countries.
- Designing, implementing, and analyzing data from rigorous evaluations and implementation research studies
- Data management and analysis; publication of peer-reviewed papers, briefs, and slide decks; research communication and dissemination.
- PhD in International Nutrition, Food Systems, Public Health, or closely related field
- High, demonstrated proficiency in quantitative research methods and data analysis, and in rigorous evaluations
- Prior research on topics related to nutrition and health in LMICs, preferably African and South Asian countries
- Familiarity and previous work on programs and policies to address multiple forms of malnutrition
- High degree of comfort with quantitative data analysis
- Demonstrated ability to publish in highly ranked peer-reviewed journals
- Demonstrated ability to effectively design and implement large scale survey data collection
- Ability and experience in managing internal and external relationships with project teams, donors, and collaborators
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to travel extensively
At the Research Fellow level
- Excellent publication record in peer-reviewed journals (minimum 2/year post-PhD)
- 3+ years of post-PhD experience relevant to the job and demonstrated fundraising experience
- Demonstrated management skills and experience with staff supervision, building and managing teams
- Familiarity with tools, methods, and metrics for measuring coverage of nutrition interventions
- Familiarity with nutrition program and policy landscape in India, Ethiopia and Nigeria
- Understanding of multi-sectoral programs and policy design and implementation, and experience working and engaging with program implementers and policy makers such as governments, non-governmental organizations, and United Nations institutions
- Advanced data visualization ability
- Proficiency or fluency in languages spoken in India, Ethiopia and Nigeria.
At IFPRI, we prioritize the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees, families, and friends. In response to the increased transmissibility with recent COVID-19 variants, all US-based employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide proof thereof, as a condition of employment. Accommodations due to medical or religious exemptions will be considered.
IFPRI Washington D.C has a hybrid work environment that allows staff members a minimum of two days in-office work and three days remote work.