Associate Research Fellow/Research Fellow
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as an Associate Research Fellow (ARF) or Research Fellow (RF) for a two-year, fixed term, renewable appointment in the Poverty, Health and Nutrition Division (PHND). The selected candidate will conduct research under PHND’s new urban food security and nutrition program. This position will include collaborating on the development of proposals to funders, shaping the research agenda under this program, and conducting and publishing research on nutrition in urban areas, the nutrition transition and the double burden of malnutrition, the urban food environment, and other related topics. The candidate will also work on other related research projects, as needed. The position reports to the Director of the Poverty, Health and Nutrition Division at IFPRI Washington. This position will be based at IFPRI headquarters in Washington, DC and will require international travel.
Please note that ARF appointments at IFPRI have a maximum term of three (3) years, inclusive of any approved appointment extensions. After the maximum appointment term, ARFs may be considered for a promotion to the next level.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate in writing research proposals to fund IFPRI’s new urban food security and nutrition research program.
- Design research projects and conduct research on the linkages between food systems, food environments, food consumption choices, diets, nutrition, and health (and related topics) among the urban poor in low and middle-income countries.
- Manage survey field work activities (including, but not limited to household surveys, market surveys, collection of data on food environments, informal food sector, and drivers of diets in urban areas), working closely with senior researchers, local collaborators and research support staff and liaising with program donors.
- Conduct empirical analysis using rigorous methods. Prepare technical reports and journal articles.
- Disseminate research findings to governments, donors, the academic community and other stakeholders at national, regional and international levels.
- Publish research findings in peer-reviewed journals.
- Maintain relationships with research program donors.
- PhD in International Nutrition, Public Health, Health Systems, Economics, Agricultural Economics or other related fields
- Proficiency in quantitative research methods
- Prior research on topics related to: nutrition in poor urban areas in low- and middle-income countries; the nutrition transition and double burden of malnutrition (co-existence of nutritional deficiencies and overweight, obesity, and diet-related non-communicable diseases); metrics for assessing markets and food environments
- Experience working in multi-cultural teams
- Demonstrated ability to publish in peer-reviewed journals
- Demonstrated ability to effectively design and implement survey data collection
- Ability and experience in managing internal and external relationships with project teams, donors, and collaborators
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to travel extensively.
At the Research Fellow Level:
- Excellent publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- 3+ years of post-PhD experience relevant to the job and demonstrated fundraising experience
- Major external recognition within peer professional network due to publications and other leaderships activities
- Demonstrated leadership skills and strong experience building and managing teams
- Familiarity with food and nutrition policy research and analysis in developing countries
- Familiarity with qualitative research methods
- Capability and interest in capacity strengthening and policy dialogue with international NGOs and donor agencies
- Understanding of multi-sectoral program and policy design and implementation, and experience working with program implementers and policy makers such as governments, non-governmental organizations and United Nations institutions
- Experience working with researchers from other social and biological sciences
- Proficiency or fluency in French and/or Spanish.
Please complete the online application and provide a complete resume, cover letter accompanying the application should describe the candidate’s interest and any experience in these research topics, and 3 references.