Assistant, Legal Affairs
This vacancy is intended to urgently fill a vacant position in the CGIAR System Organization.
Location: Montpellier, France. This position is only open to candidates who have the right to work and live in France.
Grade: Grade 1 (The position is graded in accordance with the CGIAR System Organization staff salary and grading structure, under which jobs may be graded between grades 1 to 9, with grade 9 being the highest).
Date Published: 9 March 2023
Closing Date for Applications: Monday, 3 April 2023 at 09h00 CET
CGIAR is a global research partnership for a food-secure future. CGIAR science is dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources and ecosystem services. Its research is conducted in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations, and the private sector.
About the CGIAR System Organization
Established in 2012, the CGIAR System Organization (“System Organization”) provides governance to the CGIAR System in collaboration with the System Council and has about 60+ staff. The System Organization is committed to cultivating a work environment that reflects teamwork, gender equality, and respect for diversity.
It is a truly exciting time to be joining the System Organization as CGIAR undertakes a transformation into a more integrated “One CGIAR” that will allow us to achieve a more significant impact with our research. One CGIAR is a dynamic reformulation of CGIAR’s partnerships, knowledge, assets, and global presence in key areas where innovation is needed to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030. It focuses on collaborating more closely to enable us to deploy scientific innovations faster, on a larger scale, and at a reduced cost so that they can have a more significant impact where they are needed the most. The transition to One CGIAR will have profound implications on how CGIAR and its constituent parts are structured and operate: with unified governance, an integrated structure, a new research modality, and more pooled funding, One CGIAR will be better positioned to achieve its mission.
Please find more information about CGIAR at www.cgiar.org and about One CGIAR here.
Under the overall supervision of the Director, Legal Affairs, the Assistant provides a wide range of high-quality and proactive support services to facilitate the operations of the Legal Affairs team. The Legal Affairs team delivers legal services to the CGIAR System Organization and CGIAR as a whole and facilitates collaboration between legal and intellectual property professionals across CGIAR.
Broad areas of responsibility include:
- effective information and document management;
- coordinating and supporting meetings;
- drafting and formatting documents;
- assisting with the management of consultancy contracts and budgetary matters;
- providing support with respect to office technical platforms and administrative systems.
This role requires a dependable and well-organized team-player with excellent time management skills, exceptional attention to detail; strong interpersonal skills; and the ability to maintain confidentiality and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Organize and, as required, upload the Legal team’s files, documents, and all legal records on appropriate platforms and/or information management systems, ensuring timely and accurate storage/archiving, accuracy and integrity of records, easy accessibility and retrieval of documents and that repositories and files are up to date and complete; ensure all relevant agreements of the Organization are uploaded and filed appropriately in the agreements database and propose tools and process improvements as appropriate.
- Schedule and support meetings and calls as required, supporting the development, presentation and timely delivery of meeting agendas, other relevant materials and meeting summaries as appropriate, and liaising with key internal and external stakeholders as appropriate.
- Draft, compile, format, edit, proofread, and distribute documents and materials as appropriate and liaise with key stakeholders to maintain accurate and updated contact lists and to ensure the CGIAR website is updated as appropriate with respect to content in the team's remit.
- Assist with managing consultancy contracts, including preparing relevant consultancy contracts, task orders, and payments; monitoring deadlines and milestones; and liaising with other teams for smooth coordination and implementation to ensure that legal consultants are appropriately supported.
- Support CGIAR’s global legal practice group and working groups by supporting the coordination of activities, preparing presentations, organizing meetings/events, including training webinars, organizing and updating document repositories, and providing support on the use of office technical platforms and administrative systems.
- Support the coordination of the CGIAR Intellectual Asset management reporting cycle and facilitate the Legal Affairs team’s work on personal data protection, including coordinating processes related to mapping personal data and supporting the overall policy work.
Education and Experience
- A university degree, advanced diploma or higher education qualification from an accredited academic institution relevant to the requirements of the role (e.g., law, governance, public administration, management, information management studies).
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role.
- *In lieu of a degree or advanced diploma, professional certification by/membership to an accredited professional body (e.g., governance, law, public administration, management, information management studies) plus eight years of experience may be considered.
- Previous working experience in an international or multi-cultural setting
- Demonstratable knowledge of standard office administrative practices and procedures
- Proficient computer skills and in-depth knowledge of relevant software such as MS Office Suite (including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint and Teams)
- Experience in working with workflow application software (e.g., Oracle, Peoplesoft, Agresso Office)
- Experience in project management and/or budget-related processes
- Demonstrable information/data management and/or communication skills
- A proven ability to liaise with a broad range of stakeholders and partners with varying cultural and educational backgrounds and with differing levels of seniority, and doing so with demonstrated sensitivity, discretion, and tact considering different organizational and cultural considerations
- Information gathering and monitoring skills with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential
- Working knowledge of French is preferred but not an essential requirement
The CGIAR System Organization is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation with favorable taxation arrangements in France and, subject to eligibility, comprehensive employee benefits comprising extensive insurance coverage, a retirement plan, an education grant, and relocation support at the start of the appointment and upon conclusion of appointment for staff members and eligible dependents. All benefits are denominated and paid in Euros.
System Organization appointments are typically for a fixed term of three years, with a possibility of renewal subject to effective performance, operational needs, and funding.
Submitting Your Application
All applications must be submitted online by clicking the 'Apply' button below. If you require assistance or face challenges in submitting your application, please email SMO-HR@cgiar.org with the position title in the subject line. Please note we will not accept applications through this email.
Please ensure that your resume and cover letter are in English and do not contain your marital status, age, or photograph. Documents provided in a language other than English will not be considered.
CGIAR is committed to fair, safe, and inclusive workplaces. We believe that diversity powers our innovation contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational, and multi-disciplinary, collegial working environment, with a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and flexible working arrangements. We consciously create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities. If you require accommodation due to a disability, please email your request to SMO-HR@cgiar.org and include “Diversity and Inclusion Accommodation” in the subject line.
All received applications will be acknowledged; however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
We look forward to hearing from you!