AfricaRice - Senior Seed Systems Expert
Senior Seed Systems Expert
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking on the behalf of the Integrated Breeding Platform (IBP) an outstanding Senior Seed Systems Expert (Consultant). He/she will work under the supervision of the Integrated Breeding Platform (IBP) Regional Deployment Manager.
The Integrated Breeding Platform (IBP) is conceived to help plant breeders accelerate the creation and delivery of new crop varieties in the context of an increasing global demand for food. It does so by giving access to vanguard technology and quality services for both traditional and modern breeding activities at low to no cost. In Africa, the IBP is hosted by the Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) which is a leading pan-African rice research organization committed to improving livelihoods in Africa through strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is a CGIAR Research Center. It is also an intergovernmental association of 28 African member countries, with headquarters in Côte d’Ivoire.
The Senior Seed Systems Expert who will develop a web-based knowledge platform with related information and communication technologies (ICTs) for rice seed production in Senegal. The consultancy will involve digitization of the seed value chain in consultation with key stakeholders including rice seed breeders and producers, and agricultural advisory and extension services.
Supplementary funding allocated to the PRUNSAR project (funded by the EU and IFAD) aims at complementing and increasing the impact of decision support tools, good agricultural practices (GAPs), and other information, such as diversification options, under the preceding PRUNSAR project: Sustainable and diversified rice-based farming systems.
Seed systems expertise is necessary to evaluate workflows in the rice seed value chain in Senegal and to identify gaps where digital technologies may be used to help ensure that the cycle of variety development, seed multiplication, seed distribution, seed demand and end-use is fully understood, documented and forms the basis for a transparent and functional rice value chain. The rapid development and use of digital technologies and their utility has been heightened
during the COVID-19 pandemic. The use of digital technologies by SHFs is the new ‘normal’ and the development and deployment of a digital knowledge platform for rice in Senegal has broader implications for SHFs across West Africa.
Under the supervision of IBP Regional Deployment Manager, the Senior Seed Systems Expert will undertake activities with specific tasks that include, but are not limited to:
• Document seed workflows along rice value chains in Senegal;
• Collect and document user requirements to assist with the development of the rice knowledge platform;
• Test and support deployment of the knowledge platform with key stakeholders, including SHFs;
• Oversee the collection and curation of seed data and other data such as contact information for the knowledge platform (the recruitment of enumerators to carry out this task will be supported by AfricaRice);
• Ensure that the information put into the platform are reliable, consistent and meets the project objectives;
• Manage day-to-day interactions with the seed production stakeholders and provide appropriate information in a timely manner;
• Supervise the production of the different categories of seeds in order to ensure quality control and traceability;
• Perform any other related tasks assigned as part of the seed activities in the project, without claiming any financial compensation;
• Ensuring risks are considered in the delivery of the assigned duties and responsibilities.
Education: At least a MSc degree in Agronomy with a specialization in seed systems, plant breeding or a related field;
Work experience and key competencies required:
• Minimum of 10 years working experience in the seed sector, especially in the field of seed production;
• Familiarity with the field of agricultural research for development;
• Demonstrated knowledgeable of seed systems in Senegal, including rice seed system;
• Demonstrated experience with farmer participatory approaches;
• Demonstrated expertise in the use of ICTs and bioinformatics tools;
• The candidate should be able to communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or French and have a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an international, home based consultancy position
• AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive work environment.
• The contract will run until 31 March 2023 with the possibility for renewal based on performance and availability of funding.
How to apply
1. To apply, click on the following link: http://eservices.africarice.org/application/index.php
2. Create an account if you are a new user, if not log on with your credentials to access active vacancies
3. Select “Senior Seed Systems Expert”
4. Follow the step-by-step application procedure.
Not later than 23 July 2022
Only online applications will be considered (If you encounter any technical issue on the career site
during your application, or you are prevented to proceed with your application until its final
completion: Please kindly revert to us along with the screenshot of the issue through this email:
africariceHR@cgiar.org ). Applications are not allowed through this email.
AfricaRice promotes equal opportunities and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We thank all candidates, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information on AfricaRice, please visit our website at: www.AfricaRice.org