AfricaRice - Full stack Web Development Consultant
Full stack Web Development Consultant
The Integrated Breeding Platform is seeking for an experienced Web Developer to be responsible for the coding,
innovative design and layout of our different web platforms. The primary objective of the assignment is to design,
prototype, develop & maintain a Web platform supported by MySQL database to run sophisticated user queries
and data/information consultation. Apps will connect to the Web platform via API to provide data and access
information. The Web Developer should work closely with the IBP team to review the Web standards, infrastructure
requirement and security benchmarking.
The Integrated Breeding Platform (IBP) is conceived to help plant breeders accelerate the creation and delivery of new crop varieties in the context of an increasing global demand for food. It does so by giving access to vanguard technology
and quality services for both traditional and modern breeding activities at low to no cost. In Africa, the IBP is hosted by the Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) which is a leading pan-African rice research organization committed to improving
livelihoods in Africa through strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is a CGIAR Research Center. It is also an intergovernmental association of 28 African member countries, with headquarters in Côte d’Ivoire.
he ABEE project – Fostering breeding networks and institutional breeding capacity in West Africa to develop climate-resilient crops for African smallholder farmers (West Africa Breeding Networks and Extension Empowerment) is a 5 years’ project, funded by the European Commission and coordinated by the West and Central African Council for Agricultural Research and Development (CORAF). The objective of this project is to fostera
more coordinated regional and national approach to plant breeding, placing breeders from the three participating countries (Senegal, Burkina Faso and Niger) in the driving seat to lead the change, in close partnership with experienced actors in the Research for Development arena.
AfricaRice, as host institution of the IBP is recruiting an individual consultant who will work with the IBP team on the web development activities. He/she will oversee all the maintenance and development of websites.
Write well designed, testable, efficient code by using best web/software development practices;
• Integrate data from various back-end services and databases;
• Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs;
• Create and or maintain websites layout/user interface by using standard HTML/CSS practices;
• Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into operations and activities;
• Be responsible for bug fixing, troubleshooting and user technical support; and
• Create and maintain websites documentation.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, web/software development or any other relevant filed or equivalent experience2
• Minimum 5 years of experience in web development, with proven experience in delivering high quality web applications;
• Top-notch programming skills and in-depth knowledge of modern backend technologies and/or frameworks (e.g., Java, NodeJS, Python);
• Proven experience working with relational databases (e.g., MySQL);
• Top-notch programming skills and in-depth knowledge of modern frontend technologies (eg. HTML/CSS,Angular);
• Proven experience integrating with and creating RESTful APIs;
• A solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices;
• Hands-on experience with network diagnostics, network analytics tools;
• Strong organizational skills to juggle multiple tasks within the time constraints;
• Excellent communication and reporting skills, (oral & written) with ability to work in English and French;
• Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques;
• Prior experience in AgTech projects is highly desirable;
• Experience with CI/CD pipelines is highly desirable.
• The candidate should be able to communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or French and have a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
• This is This is an international, home based consultancy position
• AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive work environment.
• The initial appointment is for one (1) year with the possibility for renewal based on performance and availability of funding.
How to apply
1. To apply, click on the following link: http://eservices.africarice.org/application/index.php
2. Create an account if you are a new user, if not log on with your credentials to access active vacancies
3. Select “Full stack Web Development Consultant”
4. Follow the step by step application procedure.
Only online applications will be considered (If you encounter any technical issue on the career site during your application, or you are prevented to proceed with your application until its final completion: Please kindly revert to us along with the screenshot of the issue through this email:
africariceHR@cgiar.org ). Applications are not allowed through this email.
Not later than 15 May 2021