AfricaRice: Economist - Senior Research Assistant for Climate Security
Economist – Senior Research Assistant for Climate Security
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking on the behalf of “Alliance of Bioversity Internationaland CIAT”
a qualified Economist – Senior Research Assistant for Climate Security who will be based in Dakar,
Senegal. He/she will work under the supervision of the Senior Scientist.
About “Alliance Bioversity-CIAT”
The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT (www.bioversityinternational.org) provide research-based
solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably and transform food systems to improve
people’s lives. The Alliance’s solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity
loss and environmental degradation.
Through new partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and integrates innovations to transform food
systems and landscapes to sustain the planet, promote prosperity and feed people.
The Alliance is part of the CGIAR (www.cgiar.org), a global research partnership for a food-securefuture.
CGIAR is dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural
CGIAR FOCUS Climate Security is looking for a highly talented Senior Research Associate – Economist with
a strong background in quantitative analyses to support the economic and econometric analyses within the
Evidence 4 Climate Security research area. This research area aims to understand the complexity of climate
and security for informed decision-making that is gender-sensitive and socially equitable. It will help unpack
the main impact pathways that link climate, agriculture, and security in different geographies to enrich our
knowledge of the complex, context-specific, socially variable, and dynamic pathways through which climate
affects the risk of conflict.
Under the supervision of the Senior Scientist, the Economist – Senior Research Assistant for Climate
Security will conduct activities with specific tasks that include, but are not limited to:
• Implement economic and econometric analyses to quantify the indirect impact of climate on conflict.
• Support ongoing economic and econometric analyses workstreams within the CGIAR FOCUS
Climate Security research initiatives
• Support the global rollout of the Climate Security research.
• Support, write, and disseminate high-quality research and communicating research findings through
research papers, journal articles, reports, policy briefs, and other outlets
• Support scientific/proposal writing, reporting, and fundraising
• Ensuring that risks management are considered in the delivery of the assigned duties and
• Other tasks as assigned as relevant to expertise and ongoing or future projects
Education: Hold a Master of Science (MSc) degree in Economics, Development Economics, Statistics, and
Work experience and key competencies required:
• At least 5 years of experience in economic research, using large-scale socio-economic datasets such
as LSMS and DHS
• Proficiency in using STATA, R, and/or Python
• Proficiency in handling high-resolution climate data for econometric analysis
• Experience in fieldwork and data collection
• Experience in carrying out cost-benefit analysis is desirable
• A record of publications is an asset
• Experience in international, multi-cultural settings and in interact with researchers
• Excellent report writing and communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented, multi-cultural environment
• Ease of working in oral and written in French, with further language proficiency in English and/or local
languages being an advantage.
The candidate should be able to communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or Frenchwith a good
working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a regional recruited position.
• AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive
• The project ends on 31 December 2024 with the possibility for renewal based on performance and
availability of funding.
How to apply
1. To apply, click on the following link:
2. Create an account if you are a new user, if not log on with your credentials to accessactive
3. Select “Economist – Senior Research Assistant for Climate Security”
4. Follow the step-by-step application procedure.
Only online applications will be considered (If you encounter any technical issue on thecareer
site during your application, or you are prevented to proceed with your application until its
final completion: Please kindly revert to us along with the screenshot of the issue through
this email: africariceHR@cgiar.org). Applications are not allowed through this email.
Not later 27 December 2022
AfricaRice promotes equal opportunities and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
We thank all candidates but remember that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more
information on AfricaRice, please visit our website at: www.AfricaRice.org