Administration and Operations Team Leader (Rome, Italy)
The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. Alliance solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation.
The Alliance works with local, national and multinational partners across Latin America and the Caribbean, Asia and Africa, and with the public and private sectors. The Alliance is part of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future, dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources and ecosystem services.
With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people in a climate crisis.
The Alliance is part of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
About the position
Based in Rome, Italy, at the Alliance Headquarters, and Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Head of Business Operations and Finance of the Alliance-Europe Region, this position will be responsible for the Administration of the activities of the Alliances’ Headquarters, which includes Procurement, Hosting Operations, Protocol, Travel, Events and Visitor Experience.
- Always ensure compliance with Alliance Finance Manuals and Procurement Guidelines, particularly as they pertain to minimum quotations and sole supplier justifications, performing the role and executing tenders in an impartial and regulated manner.
- Perform Due Diligence to the Sole Source Justification requests by ensuring the form provides a reasonable justification for using a single source.
- Ensure appropriate documentation is provided by requesting staff when requisitions are raised in the system.
- Organize and coordinate Global Procurement and Regional Procurement committee for purchases in Europe ensuring all the information is ready and clear to the Committee.
- Perform the Due Diligence to Europe Suppliers through the WatchDog Platform.
- Ensuring adequate induction is provided to new staff related to the Procurement policy in place.
- Oversee the creation and administration of budgets within the operations of HQ in coordination with the Logistics and Facilities Manager.
- Supervise the Operations Support Assistant ensuring her activities are performed effectively.
- Maintain records of current Hosting Agreements which includes staff lists and other relevant information to ensure charges are made accurately to the hosted entities/charges made to the Alliance through Bioversity and develop/monitor tracking tools to ensure timely implementation of any required corrective actions.
- In collaboration with external research institutions particularly other Centers and in coordination with the Alliance Legal Office, provide inputs to the Alliance Legal Office on the development of new drafts of hosting agreements and renewal of Hosting Agreements, including but not limited to costing of hosting arrangements, through cross-functional consultation and internal clearance processes.
- Respond to client’s questions and requests, resolve complaints, and escalate issues as needed – on hosting arrangements and procurement.
- Serve as a point of contact for Hosted members at HQ, assisting with the operationalization of these Hosting Agreements, with particular attention to ensuring that terms and conditions are respected.
- Oversee the implementation and monitoring of traveler security systems, policies, and procedures.
- Oversee the implementation of SAP concur.
- Ensure that appropriate support by Travel Assistants is provided to various internal stakeholders.
- Supervises Travel Assistants ensuring their effective performance.
Protocol, Events and Visitor Experience
- Oversee that protocol documents are timely, accurate and archived as necessary.
- Oversee effective contact with authorities, Embassies and Consulates and Local authorities creating useful contacts to promote the smooth delivery of services.
- Ensure that appropriate support by Protocol Assistants is provided to various internal stakeholders.
- Coordinate Unit staff to provide adequate protocol services for staff and visitors.
- Oversee processes and tasks associated with planning and carrying out meetings/events and visitor experience at HQ Rome.
- Lead, motivate and manage the performance of unit staff and contribute to creating a positive organizational climate by active and constructive participation in relevant consultation and decision-making mechanisms.
- Develop the unit work plan for the year, including appropriate team consultation, and ensure that it is communicated to and understood by staff.
- Complete the performance management process within established deadlines.
- Clarify performance expectations and negotiate performance agreements (work objectives and performance standards).
- Conduct mid-term review meetings with direct reports and formalize the outcomes in the relevant tools.
- Conduct performance appraisal meetings with direct reports and formalize the outcomes in the relevant tool.
- Discuss development needs and aspirations with direct reports, agree on an actionable development plan and monitor progress.
- Review and approve unit staff development plan considering organizational priorities and staff needs and aspirations.
- Ensure staff have adequate resources to effectively pursue their work objectives.
- Ensure effective planning and monitoring mechanisms are in place to enable the measurement of progress towards the achievement of objectives.
- Actively and constructively participate in relevant consultative and decision-making mechanisms.
- Master’s degree in Communications, Business Administration, Public Administration, Project Management, Hospitality, or in a related field.
- Previous relevant work experience in a similar role, including as a team leader/supervisor.
- Experience in an international and multicultural working environment.
- Knowledge of events planning, execution, and logistics.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Fluent in English and Italian – oral and written; working knowledge of French and Spanish is desirable.
- Ability to manage and oversee numerous, complex projects simultaneously with competing deadlines.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient computer skills and in-depth knowledge of relevant software such as MS Office Suite (including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and SharePoint), as well as experience in using ERP systems (e.g., Oracle, Peoplesoft, Agresso, Office).
- A proven ability to work effectively with a broad range of stakeholders and partners with different cultural and educational backgrounds, and levels of seniority.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity, discretion, and tact.
- Ability to organize, plan and prioritize work.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong customer orientation and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to uphold the highest ethical and professional standards.
Terms of employment
This is a locally recruited position which will be based in Rome, Italy, at the Alliance Headquarters. The salary is level 9, on a scale of 14 levels, with level 14 being the highest. The salary range starts from Euro 52,570 per annum. The Alliance offers an attractive remuneration package which includes a competitive salary, leave provisions, medical and life insurance, and non-contributory retirement plan. The contract will be for a period of 2 years, subject to a probationary period of 6 months, and is renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
Please note that eligible applicants must have the legal status to live and work in Italy:
- Be Italian nationals holding a valid passport or identity card.
- Or be EU citizens holding a valid passport or identity card and confirmation of registration from the Registrar’s Office (Anagrafe)
- Or non–EU citizens holding a valid Italian work permit (permesso di soggiorno per lavoro subordinato)
Please apply online through the website (https://alliancebioversityciat.org/careers) no later than 14 January 2024, attaching a curriculum vitae, motivation letter, both in English, and contact information (e.g. names, email address) of at least three references. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications: 14 January 2024
We invite you to learn more about us at:
Please visit our careers page at: