Seeds of Change Conference: Gender Equality Through Agricultural Research for Development
- Published on
April 2-4 the CGIAR gender community will come together in Canberra, Australia for our annual scientific conference – Seeds of Change: gender equality through agricultural research for development. This year, for the first time, the CGIAR Collaborative Platform for Gender Research are convening the conference jointly with partners – the University of Canberra and the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR). About 265 researchers and practitioners will participate, 100 from CGIAR. We are very excited about the synergies that are anticipated as we engage with others active in research and development in the gender aqua/agriculture and natural resource management (NRM: water, land, forest) domains!
CGIAR theme leaders
The CGIAR Collaborative Platform for Gender Research is proud to have 54 CGIAR researchers presenting papers and posters, as well as leading three conference themes:
- Gender and Equity for Healthy and Nutritious Food Systems – Hazel Malapit, Gender Research Coordinator CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH), Platform Advisory Committee member, IFPRI.
- Gender, Agricultural Productivity and Rural Transformation – Cheryl Doss, Gender Flagship Leader, CGIAR Research Program on Policies, Institutions, and Markets (PIM), Oxford University.
- Gender Integration in Agri-Food System Research for Development – Ranjitha Puskur, Gender research Coordinator, CGIAR Research Program on Rice, International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), AND, Cynthia McDougall, Gender Research Coordinator, CGIAR Research program on Fish, WorldFish.
In addition, four Practice workshops are led by our gender community:
- Using the project-level Women’s Empowerment in Agriculture Index – Hazel Malapit, Jessica Heckert and Elena Martinez
- Developing Gender-responsive Plant and Animal Breeding Programs: Principles, methods and tools – Ranjitha Puskur, Vivian Polar and Cynthia McDougall
- Gender-Transformative Approaches in aqua/agriculture, forestry and water management – Cynthia McDougall
- Integrating gender into agriculture-nutrition research –Hazel Malapit, Jessica Heckert andElena Martinez
- Keynote Address – Building gender equity from the bottom up in agricultural communities – from the Professor Katherine Gibson, Western Sydney University
- Public Lecture – Empowering Women, Improving Livelihoods: keys to rural development – by Professor Naila Kabeer, London School of Economics
- Keynote Address: Gender in Agricultural Research for Development as a Driver for Inclusive Transformation – Ms Vicki Wilde, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Dr Jayne Curnow, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research
- A Plenary Panel – A conversation with men champions of gender equality: Challenging harmful masculinities for better development outcomes – Co-chaired by Cynthia McDougall (WorldFish) and Rhiannon Pyburn (CGIAR Collaborative Platform for Gender Research)
- The challenges ahead: a provocations plenary with key-note speakers and theme leaders – co-chaired by Barbara Pamphilon (University of Canberra) and Rhiannon Pyburn (CGIAR Collaborative Platform for Gender Research)
Photo: Celebrating International Women’s Day 2019 in Barishal, Bangladesh. A.w.m Anisuzzaman/WorldFish.
Emerging scientist: Surendran Rajaratnam15.04.19
Understanding why people do what they do and what they can do differently to improve…Read more
AfricaRice Dr Robert Carsky Award for 201915.04.19
- Food Security
This is an annual award, which was instituted by AfricaRice in honor of the late…Read more
Reducing intimate partner violence through cash transfers: The next research frontier09.04.19
Cash transfers are promising interventions to reduce intimate partner violence (IPV), but more evide…Read more