Transforming food systems with aquatic foods: Advancing equitable livelihoods for healthy people and planet
An Independent Dialogue exploring the actions needed to drive aquatic food solutions as part of the UN Food Systems Summit.
Date: Friday, 25 June 2021
Time: 19:00-20:30 (UTC+8)
In the lead up to the 2021 UN Food Systems Summit, the Global Action Network Sustainable Food from the Oceans and Inland Waters for Food Security and Nutrition will arrange a series of three Independent Dialogues in an effort to include aquatic foods as a key food source for food and nutrition security. The events, co-hosted by the Norwegian leadership of the Global Action Network and WorldFish, aim to bridge the Decade of Action on Nutrition, the Decade of Ocean Science and the Decade of Action to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals.
In this third dialogue, high-level cross-sectorial representatives, will come together to showcase possible solutions and discuss important actions for food systems transformation with aquatic foods as part of the summit’s Action Track 4, which aims to advance equitable livelihoods. The panels will take a holistic approach, discussing key actions and ways to connect with research and policies to ensure that an aquatic food system approach provides good solutions for both sustainable equitable livelihoods as well as food security and nutrition.
- Lelei LeLaulu, Chairman, Earth Council Alliance
Walking the talk: Showcasing possible solutions
- Benson Obwanga, Lecturer, Laikipia University College
- Amy Atter, Senior Research Scientist, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
- Dr. Emma Witbooi, Director, PescaDOLUS
Connecting research and policy: How do we scale up good solutions
- Aksel Jakobsen, State Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Norway
- Gilbert Houngbo, President, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Dr. Shakuntala Thilsted, Global Lead for Nutrition and Public Health, WorldFish
- Michelle Nunn, Chair, UNFSS Action Track 4 & President and CEO, CARE USA
- Nicole Franz, Fishery Analyst, Fisheries and Aquaculture Department, FAO
This event will be opened and closed by the Coordinator of the United Nations System Standing Committee on Nutrition and member of the Global Action Network Sustainable Food from the Oceans and Inland Waters for Food Security and Nutrition, Dr. Stineke Oenema.