Fish4Thought Event: Gender-inclusive innovations for aquatic food systems transformation
12:00 am > 12:00 am
A virtual event to celebrate International Women’s Day and highlight the importance of gender-sensitive approaches to empower women actors in aquatic food systems.
Date: Tuesday, 8 March 2022
Time: 15:00-16:20 (UTC+8)
Click here to watch the event recording
Growing evidence points to gender equality playing a key role in aquatic food systems’ crucial contributions to achieving the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. However, despite recent progress in advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment, inequity and barriers still remain in most parts of the world.
In this Fish4Thought virtual event held in conjunction with International Women’s Day, WorldFish’s research experts came together to highlight gender-sensitive approaches that empower women actors and ensure gender-equal opportunities in food, nutrition and income in aquatic food systems.
The presentations focussed on WorldFish’s years of research work in designing and implementing gender-inclusive innovations in response to climate and COVID-19 impacts. The panel of experts shared regional innovations in aquatic food systems to increase the visibility, agency and leadership capabilities of women in small-scale, artisanal fisheries and aquaculture sectors in Asia, Africa and the Pacific.
- Shakuntala Thilsted, Global Lead, Nutrition & Public Health, WorldFish & 2021 World Food Prize Laureate
- Rahma Adam, Social Inclusion & Market Scientist, WorldFish
- Anouk Ride, Social Scientist, WorldFish
- Rumana Peerzadi Hossain, Climate Change Research Scientist, WorldFish
- Muhammad Arifur Rahman, Research Associate, ECOFISH II, WorldFish
- Nicole Franz, Fishery Analyst & Leader of the Equitable and Livelihoods Team, Fisheries and Aquaculture Division, FAO
- Doina Huso, Digital Communications and Marketing Specialist, WorldFish
Follow WorldFish and the hashtag #aquaticfoods, #IWD2022 and #InternationalWomensDay to check out past conversations on Twitter.