Addressing Water Variability and Scarcity: The Role of Agricultural Research
1201 Eye Street NW, Washington, DC, 20005, United States
The Environment and Production Technology Division, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) and the ILSI Research Foundation are co-organizing the symposium Addressing Water Variability and Scarcity: The Role of Agricultural Research at IFPRI’s headquarters in Washington, DC.
Presentations will focus on new technologies that are being developed and/or applied to mitigate the impacts of water stress on agricultural productivity, as well as the enabling policy environment that is needed to ensure that water-related research and development efforts are effectively deployed and scaled up.
Welcome and Introductions
- Claudia Ringler, Deputy Director of Environment and Production Technology Division, IFPRI
- Morven McLean, Executive Director, International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI) Research Foundation
Setting the Context
- Mark Rosegrant, Research Fellow Emeritus, IFPRI
An Overview of Promising Technologies for Improved On-Farm Management of Water
- Biniam Iyob, Water and Irrigation Advisor, United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
What Can Precision Agriculture Offer to Small Holder Farmers?
- David Schimmelpfennig, Agricultural Economist, United States Drug Administration Economic Research Service (USDA ERS)
Novel Approaches to Breeding for Resilience in Water Stressed Environments
- Todd Mockler, Member of Geraldine and Robert Virgil Distinguished Investigator, Donald Danforth Plant Science Center
Creating Enabling Environments for Achieving Innovations in Water Management in Agricultural Production Systems
- Rémi Trier, Senior Water Resources and Irrigation Specialist, The World Bank Group
The New Agricultural Research Revolution, Water, and the Future of Public Sector Research
- Mark Giordano, Professor, Georgetown University
Panel Discussion with Presenters Q&A
- Claudia Ringler, Deputy Director of Environment and Production Technology Division, IFPRI (Moderator)
- Josette Lewis, Director of Agricultural Affairs, Almond Board of California